lies to the east of Withington. Records from the early 19th
century show Ladybarn as a small group of buildings,
surrounded by fields, on the north side of what was Ladybarn
Lane, and is now Mauldeth Road. See the Old
for the growth and development of Ladybarn over the years.
Ladybarn is now an attractive place to live, with houses of various periods, a shopping area, a railway station and facilities including Ladybarn Park, with its magnificent Poplar Walk, Outdoor Gym, Bowling Club, sports facilities, children's playground, playing fields and woodlands.
The name "Ladybarn" refers to a barn, especially a "tithe barn", associated with Our Lady. It has been suggested that this refers to an abbey of Our Lady holding land in the area. The barn may instead be associated with Ladyday - a day traditionally of significance in agricultural communities. As for the former, the Abbey of St Mary-in-the-Marsh at Cockersand (Lancashire) is recorded to have held land in the Withington area. See the notes below for further information about the early history and origin of the place-name.
Here are some pictures of Ladybarn. Click on the images for enlarged views.
St Chad's Community Wildlife Garden was developed from early 2012 in the grounds of St. Chad's Church, Ladybarn. Here are some pictures (again, click on the images for enlarged views).
Social Club. A history
of the Ladybarn Social Club, formerly the Ladybarn and
District Royal British Legion Club, by Phil Cowtan and the
committee of the club (2013).
Documents: Some documents relating to the protests against the redevelopment plans for Ladybarn in the 1970s. Many thanks to Ruth Shepherd who sent these. They include reference to the one-time Ladybarn Civic Society, and to the Rusholme: Poster 1 (1971) | Poster 2 | Civic Society letter (1973) | Manchester Evening News (1973)
(*) Further notes on the origins of the place-name "Ladybarn". According to the Chartulary of Cockersand Abbey (Reprinted by the Chetham Society, Vol. 43, 1900), translated from the Latin:
Grant in frankalmoign from Odo, son of Ingrith de Withington [to the canons of Cockersand], of a portion of his land in Withington, to wit, eight acres of land by the great ditch on the south side, as the crosses indicate; with common of pasture and all liberties and easements belonging to his fee of the said town. [8.0.1184 I2IOC]
Elsewhere in the chartulary, we have:
Grant in frankalmoign from Odo, son of Ing [-rith de Withington, to the canons of Cokersand] of a portion of his land within the bounds of Withington, to wit, in the northern part of that town between two ditches, as the crosses and landmarks of the said brethren indicate, together with the messuages ; and also four acres of land extending from the great ditch along the kirk-gate towards land of Walter de Withington ; with common right, easements, and liberties. Any future claim upon this land to be discharged by the residue of his fee. [S.D. 1184 1210 c]
These extracts appear to refer to Withington (in "Salfordsyre") with the "great ditch" being Nico Ditch (though Whittington in Lonsdale is near the abbey). This derivation is repeated on several websites. Further investigations of the history of land ownership in the area, tithe duties, the existence of a barn and early records of the name, are warranted.