Withington history
Withington Synagogue
From an article on The Sephardi Congregation of South Manchester:

"The Sephardi (Spanish) tradition of Judaism originated in Spain and Portugal over 2,000 years ago. Shaare Rahamim  (The Gates of Mercy) Synagogue of the Withington Congregation of Spanish and Portuguese Jews was founded in Mauldeth Road in 1904. The Congregation moved to the current synagogue in Queens Road (now Queenston Road) in 1927. The Synagogue, which was designed with the help of the architect Joseph Sunlight, is still fondly known as "Queens Road".

Where was the synagogue on Mauldeth Road? A Street Directory of the period records: "Mauldeth Road (North Side) No.1. Jewish Synagogue". 

The above account was kindly provided by John Gore of Amherst Road.

The Withington congregation of Spanish and Portuguese Jews dates from 1904. Before that members went back to Cheetham Hill to worship. In October 1903, a meeting was held in the Victoria Hall (probably the one in Lansdowne Street [now Nuneham Avenue]).

In April 1904,it was decided to purchase 'Mosley Lodge' on Mauldeth Road West. In September 1904, the consecration ceremony took place. The premises originally seated 60 men and 32 women. It was soon extended and given a gallery.

By the 1920's, the congregation had expanded too much for the premises. At the time, its members were moving south to Didsbury and West Didsbury. A site for a bigger synagogue was purchased in Queens Road [now Queenston Road] in the Albert Park area of West Didsbury. In May 1925, the foundation stone was laid. The building was ready to use by April 1927. It seated 336 men and 240 women and is still in use today. [2014]

Source: Pereira-Mendoza, J. Historical record of the Withington Congregation of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews, 1904-1929.